Qualification: MA English, UGC NET, MA History, Pursuing Ph.D
Tennyson Thomas is an Assistant Professor in the Department of English at RVCAS. He completed his post-graduation in English Language and Literature from UC College, Aluva, with a thesis in Cultural Studies based on the origins, ontology and evolution of the vampire myth throughout the ages and places. He also has a post-graduation in MA History along with a Diploma in Human Rights. Tennyson has worked as Assistant Editor at the English section of DC Books at Cochin Office and Kottayam Head Office. He is also a part-time film critic and editor, with certificates in Hardware and Networking, Multimedia and JAVA Programming. He is currently pursuing Ph.D in English Literature, and is writing his maiden novel, an untitled post-apocalyptic dystopian thriller.
His interests include MOOC courses, movie reviews and Real Time Strategy (RTS) games including Age of Empires and Warcraft and Turn Based Strategy (TBS) games including Age of Wonders and Disciples: Sacred Lands. His blogs also cover a wide range of topics from film criticism and travel writing to short fiction and gaming. He is also a traveller who earned an invite to Outlook Traveller Responsible Tourism Summit at Delhi ITC Maurya in the year 2015, and a responsible citizen and blogger who was selected to represent the Indian blogging world at India Today Conclave at Taj Delhi Diplomatic Enclave with the topic, “A World Remade” in the same year.
Areas of Interest:
Intellectual History of Tamil Nadu
History of Revolutions
Assistant Professor, Department of English at Rajagiri Viswajyothi College of Arts and Applied Sciences, Perumbavoor (2017-2020)
Assistant Editor, Mango (English Division) at DC Books, Cochin and Kottayam (2016-2017)
Awards and Achievements:
Selected for representing Indian Bloggers during the India Today Conclave 2015 based on the topic “A World Remade” at Taj Delhi Diplomatic Enclave.
Represented the English Department, UC College at different Quiz Programmes during the years 2011-2013 and won multiple prizes.
Invited for Outlook Traveller Responsible Tourism Summit at at ITC Maurya, Delhi in December 2015 representing the travel blogging community.
Part of the environmental campaign by Green Yatra, Bengaluru, and in recognition of the contributions to the cause, a tree was planted by the NGO with the name “Tennyson” in the city.
Former Film Critic at the Australian Website, Kiagia and other international websites earning regular personal invitations to review independent movies from all around the world.
Film Critic at Movies of the Soul, and a member of the Large Association of Movie Blogs (LAMB), world’s largest movie directory and community.
Selected as the top movie blog in India (Movies of the soul) during the time period of 2015-2016 by IndiRank system.
Received the Responsible Blogger Title from Blogmint, and has been a Tripoto Approved Travel Blogger.
Featured in the Top Indian Blog Posts of IndiBlogger multiple times, consistently.
Invited to take English classes at Mar Kauma Higher Secondary School, Vengoor during summer vacation, April 2018.
Received a score of C1 Advanced in the British Council – English Score Test.
Edited the retellings of Indian classics including the epics Mahabharata and Ramayana which were used by Real Reads, Newbury, Berkshire, UK.
Edited and designed the magazine of Viswajyothi Public School, Angamaly for the academic year of 2013-2014.
- A Cultural Construct: The Historical Vampire in Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire: JETIR (ISSN: 2349-5162), 2019.
- Rise of the Undead: Creatures of the Night in Myth, History and Literature: JRHSS (ISSN: 2321-9467), 2019.
- Revisiting Shakespeare: Post Theory Reflections, Aquinas College, Edakochi – 3rd October 2011
- Beyond Footlights: Theatre & Texts, Bharata Mata College, Thrikkakkara – 7th March 2012
- Research Methodology & Literary Practices in Academic Writing, St. Teresa’s College, Ernakulam – 20th October 2012
- Transforming Self and Modernity: Contemporary Indian English Literature, St. Aloysius College, Elthuruth – 22nd & 23rd February 2013
- Narrative of Narratives, Sree Sankaracharya University of Sanskrit, Kalady – 26th, 27th & 28th February 2013
- Leapfrog the Innovation, Rajagiri Centre for Business Studies, Kakkanad – 28th, 29th & 30th May 2018
- The Worlds of Historical Fiction – University of Virginia (Coursera)
:By Bruce Holsinger (coursera.org/verify/3K6FNMR2P27P), 2019.
- Ancient Egypt and Its Civilization – University of Pennsylvania (Coursera)
:By David P Silverman (coursera.org/verify/5Z4NQFGGB6BZ), 2019.
- The Ancient Greeks – Wesleyan University (Coursera)
:By Andrew Szegedy-Maszak (coursera.org/verify/P9AWNAJ6AMZG), 2019.
- Wonders of Ancient Egypt – University of Pennsylvania (Coursera)
:By David P Silverman (coursera.org/verify/26ZAFJF99PWM), 2019.
- Religion and Thought in Modern China – Chinese University of Hong Kong (Coursera)
:By John Lagerwey (coursera.org/verify/3EBW5KQZXF2C), 2019.
- Origins of the Mediterranean Civilization – Sapienza University of Rome (Coursera)
:By Lorenzo Nigro (coursera.org/verify/Y4XM5KA25DTA), 2019.
- The Holocaust: Ideology, Jews & the World – Tel Aviv University (Coursera)
:By Havi Dreifuss (coursera.org/verify/D39Y26QKPVVD), 2019.
- The Talmud: A Methodological Introduction – Northwestern University (Coursera)
:By Barry Scott Wimpfheimer (http://coursera.org/verify/8KCCYL823KUW), 2019.
- Civic Engagement in American Democracy – Duke University (Coursera)
:By Bruce W Jentleson (http://coursera.org/verify/9JES3M7298FF), 2019.
- Ancient Rome: Archaeology & History – Sapienza University of Rome (Coursera)
:By Paolo Carafa (http://coursera.org/verify/SP885V8XBPYE), 2019.
- The Fall and Rise of Jerusalem – Tel Aviv University (Coursera)
:By Oded Lipschits (http://coursera.org/verify/A2K7W5NWJU2E), 2019.
- Social Norms and Social Change – University of Pennsylvania & UNICEF (Coursera)
:By Cristina Bicchieri (http://coursera.org/verify/KV3UF9KUNY4M), 2019.
- The American South: Stories, Music & Art – University of North Carolina (Coursera)
:By William Ferris (http://coursera.org/verify/TMBGD8K89QBC), 2019.
HOD, Department of English at RVCAS
MOOC (Massive Open Online Courses) coordinator at RVCAS
Class coordinator of BA English, 2018 Admissions batch at RVCAS
Member of the College Council at RVCAS
Club-in-charge of Film Club at RVCAS (2018-2020)
Club-in-charge of Literary Club at RVCAS (2018)
Faculty-in-charge of Online Activities of RVCAS (2017-2020)
Faculty-in-charge of the Computer Lab at RVCAS (2018-2020)